Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How to make your chocolate chip cookies chewy. FINALLY!

There are two kinds of people in this world. The ones that like their cookies hard and brittle, and the ones that like their cookies soft and chewy. I am of the latter gang. Please don't tell me you misread the word 'cookies'.

I've been making mistakes in the kitchen ever since i was a youngest of 4 daughters loner kid with a mother who wouldn't let me hang out with friends. I'd be the only one awake early on the weekends or during school break. I'd watch Martha Stewart on TV and wait for her to say "It's a good thing." In our house we never really had a fully stocked pantry, so sometimes i'd have to improvise the ingredients. This usually ended in disaster considering how scientific baking can get. I'll never forget the taste of too much baking powder. Or the gingerbread house i tried to make using a sugar cookies recipe and no decorations.

You'd think that by that many years of fucking up, i'd have learnt from all my mistakes, and been a baking goddess by now. Well the the thing is, i like to cut corners, and never fully appreciated (or wrote down) the instructions portion of a recipe. Turns out it makes a huge difference. Like how perfectly shaped eyebrows can make a huge difference. HUGE.

So if your'e like me, and you want your cookies delectably chewy, then listen up! Beat that butter up with the sugar till its fluffy!

I got this recipe from a book from Winners/Homesense. I LOVE that store. The book seems very old and english, like the ones i used to borrow from the library when i was a kid. That's how i knew these recipes would be clutch in getting it right. None of that gluten trans fat free bullschnitzel.

Here it is in pencil crayon and black pen form:

1. Using an electric mixer (a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. If you dont have one of these, why are you baking? Do you realize how much time and effort you are wasting? Cuz i do. I've been there.) cream the butter and white n brown sugar until the mixture is nicely assimilated into one fluffy sweet race.

2. Mix together the egg and vanilla in a separate bowl. I usually don't cuz im lazy and i value time. Gradually add the mixture into the butter mixture and beat it. Just beat it.

3. Sift the flour, soda, and salt and stir to blend.

4. Add chocolate chips or whatever and mix.

5. Place heaping teaspoons of dough on greased baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes at 350degressF

6. Transfer to a wire rack using a metal spatula and let it cool.

Presidents choice came out with these mini peanut butter cups. These things are mini. They rule.
now do you believe me?

So the chocolate chips or whatever can be these things. I made them with these and some skor bits i had laying around. I also made some with mini M&Ms and GREEN TEA but not enough green tea. I dont have any pictures of the actual cookies cuz i ate them all. Playlist: B-Dash!
from Daiso!

No comments:

Post a Comment